Artifact
Artifact
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Tauren
Class: Druid

Hit Rating Calculations for Feral Droods and powershifting

Post by zoquete » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 am

It's pretty well established that one of the best uses of item budget in PVE for rogues and cats is Hit Rating, at least up til the point where special attacks aren't missing (currently thought to be 8.6% vs bosses)

Assumptions

* I'm going to treat dodges/parries as misses, as the mechanics don't seem to differ for our purposes. Dodges/parries can't be removed by +hit of course, but I'm looking at the marginal value of hit when not hit-capped, so this doesn't matter.
* I'm going to ignore cooldowns on abilities and assume you're limited by energy rather than cooldowns. If you're missing so much that your energy bar fills up faster than you can use it, your DPS is going to suck, but this doesn't happen. More realistically, if a druid misses a mangle then it messes up their cycle. (A naive approximation of this effect - reducing mangle-uptime-on-rip by an additional 0.35% per %hit increased Hit Rating's worth to 1.13AP)

White damage
White damage is simple, it crits, hits, glances, or misses. Hit rating converts misses into hits.
Your average swing is weapondmg * (2*critrate + hitrate + g * glancerate). I'm not sure on the coefficient for glances but let's say 0.8. With 30% crit, 15% glance, 55% hit, 10% miss/dodge/parry, this is weapondmg * 1.27.
If your weapon damage is X, then 1%hit increases your average swing by 0.01X, which is 0.8% of your white damage.

Yellow damage
When you miss a special, or it gets dodged or parried, approximately 82% of the energy is returned. That is, the miss cost 18% of the energy of the attack. On average it'll take you 1/(1-miss) swings to land the attack, of which 1 costs full energy E and the rest cost 0.18E each. Average energy cost is F

That is, 0.22% reduction in cost per 1% reduction in misses.
(Less math approximation: missing increases your energy cost by 20%, missing 1% less reduces your energy cost by 0.2%)
Since your yellow DPS is cooldown limited, a 0.22% energy saving per 1% hit means 0.22% yellow DPS increase.

Tying it together
This depends on how much of your damage is yellow and how much is white. According to the cycle i modeled I had 39% white, 61% yellow (34% shred, 20% rip, 7% mangle).
Total damage increase from 1% hit: 0.39 * 100.8% + 0.61 * 100.22% = 100.45%
That is, 0.45% damage increase.

Drood Dps Rotation hit capped Example

00:0 - Mangle, 60 Energy left, 1 CP
00:5 - Energy tick, 80 energy
01:0 - Shred crit, 38 energy, 3 CP
02:5 - Energy tick, 58 energy
03:0 - Shred, 16 energy left, 4 CP
04:5 - Energy tick, 36 energy
06:5 - Energy tick, 56 energy
07:0 - Shred, 34 energy, 5 CP
08:5 - Energy tick, 54 energy
10:5 - Energy tick, 74 energy
12:0 - Mangle Debuff wears off
12:5 - Energy tick, 94 energu
13:0 - Rip, 64 energy
14:0 - Repeat cycle from start with Mangle

and about powershifting.

You lose 1-2 white hits. Yes, it's moderately difficult, and slightly taxing to coordinate powershifting into a DPS cycle. However, it more than makes up for itself by providing you options. 4pt combo, Mangle debuff has 3.5 seconds left, and you're out of energy? Shift up, shift down, Shred for 3k+, energy tic, Rip, Mangle expires, voila! You've maximized your CPs, and you did it only losing 1 white hit's worth of damage.

This means you will loose 1-2 white attacks, considering they dont
critic then your next mangle will be superior on damage than
those 2 white , you would have lost a very bit of dps only
if those 2 white critics were destined to be critics and your
mangle didnt.

Zinko
Legendary
Legendary
Class: Warrior
Role: Tank
Xbox GamerTag: TheEzi

Re: Hit Rating Calculations for Feral Droods and powershifting

Post by Zinko » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:46 am

Too bad power shifting doesn't really work as effectively anymore from the EJ stuff and other places I have read.

zoquete
Artifact
Artifact

Post by zoquete » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 am

Zinko wrote:Too bad power shifting doesn't really work as effectively anymore from the EJ stuff and other places I have read.
Yeah thats what basically they saying.. there is no way to know if
those missed white hits were critic or not.. so lets suppose they
were then your loosing dps, now then suppose 1 was critic and mangle
was not.. then dps was par.. so powershifting it isnt effective in was
to include as rotation since its calc depends pretty much if it was
gonna critic or not.

Yeah basically this info posted from EJ forums.

Zinko
Legendary
Legendary
Class: Warrior
Role: Tank
Xbox GamerTag: TheEzi

Post by Zinko » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:20 am

That and I think they changed it so that you don't get the energy tick as soon as you shift back into cat form. Something about reseting your energy tick, but I am far from certain on that.

zoquete
Artifact
Artifact

Post by zoquete » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:42 am

Zinko wrote:That and I think they changed it so that you don't get the energy tick as soon as you shift back into cat form. Something about reseting your energy tick, but I am far from certain on that.
When you change into cat form from any other form, your tick counter
starts at that moment. so yes its reset, you wont get an immediate tick
after doing it.

So no free mangle just by powershifting, you need to wait to get that tick
still pretty close to being == with the talent + that extra tick. you do
gain a bit of extra energy still on comparison.

Just before the tick timer reset, you would gain the talent energy +
one energy tick right away after doing the shift.. == free mangle just
by powershifting.

Bashui
Common
Common
Guild: Unknown
Class: Death Knight

Post by Bashui » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I am somewhat of a theorycraft geek, and I love discussing/debating finer points. I have spent a lot of time looking at Toskks calculator (http://druid.wikispaces.com/ToskksDPSGearMethod) and translated it into an in game addon (http://files.wowace.com/CatPoints/CatPoints.zip - a little out of date) and helped in the development of Rawr (http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr) and regularly look for new research regarding these sorts of things.

If you add in an equivalent amount of crit rating (agi is better of course, but crit rating is easier to add in to the posted calculations) crit comes out (very slightly) ahead of hit for white damage. I think you are also missing out on the bonus crit damage from talents and RED. For the baseline you have 1.369, +16 hit rating = 1.379 and +16 crit rating = 1.384 (again, 16 agi would be better, though the value depends on what weapondmg is). With the talented crit damage added it, 16 hit rating is an increase of .73% and 16 crit rating is 1.1%

Special damage scales with weapon damage, so it follows that a 1.1% increase is special damage would be realized with 16 crit rating.

Tying together the two, you might expect to see

Also, only CP generating moves refund energy on a miss, finishers refund no energy (without the AQ set at least). Also, since rip can't crit, hit improves DPE for rip, but crit doesn't (of course agi does have a small effect). Crit however does have the added side effect of increasing CP generation, which in turn, increases rip uptime. For the sake of simplicity, let us say that if 1% hit is worth .22% for a CP generating move, then it is worth 5 times that or 1.1% for a finisher.

Putting that all together you get:
16 hit rating: .39*100.73%+.41*100.22%+.2*101.1% = 100.595%
16 crit rating: .39*101.07%+.41*101.07%+.2*100.0% = 100.858%

Hit does increase your chances for a 2t4 proc, since it can't proc on a miss, effectively increasing your energy regen rate.

Missing a mangle after a rip also means a missed rip tick which is a little bit harder to account for using this basic model.

Of course, things all get a little stranger when you talk about fights that you have to move (most of em). If you miss your rip (or mangle) right before you have to run out of melee range it could hurt you. Those two are key. If we have to run out at other times it is not that bad as long as we don't stay out so long that we are burning energy since our DPS is energy limited and our white hits are (relatively) a smaller amount of our dps.

On powershifting:
I haven't read anywhere of anyone reporting missed white attacks since it moved client side (unless you are auto switching weapons/idols or something screwy like that). While it is true that the regen timer gets reset, it is still a net win as long as you shift at < 20 energy. If you shift a split second before you would tick to 39 energy, at the time of the next tick you will have 60 with a powershift and 59 normally. Of course, this probably isn't worth the mana, but it still is an increase in energy regen. In the normal case you are probably going to lose about 10-15 energy (1 gcd+latency) due to the reset (in addition to whatever energy you have sitting around). With the newly discovered powershifting macro magic you can make sure that a 2t4 proc isn't wasted on a powershift (at least until they fix it).

Now if I could just get an ilvl 150 Wolfshead Helm with stats and a meta socket.