Common
Common
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Undead
Class: Mage

3.1 Specs

Post by Endellion » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

After diving head first into the EJ forms for a while this morning, and other places, it seems FFB is making more of a comeback than previously thought. That being said, if you end up having trouble with mana in the ttw/fire spec Niv this may be the way to go for you. A little more gear friendly as well since you don't have to have a shitton of hit.

I'm going to stay arcane for the time being. EJ doesn't feel the spec is dead though so many folks on the mage forums do. I tend to follow EJ closer since they actually have the numbers to back it up.

RAWR came out with it's 3.1 version today as well. FFB is, surprisingly, on the top of the charts and doesn't have a dead spot like ttw/fire (after about 6 minutes or so you run out of abilities to give you mana making things a little hairy for about 60 seconds) and is obviously the most mana friendly spec which I'm sure is part of why RAWR has it listed on top. Arcane and ttw/fire are right behind it by about 300dps, and poor little frost spec lower still.

Mota I know you've done FFB before but I'll leave the choice up to you as it seems you enjoy arcane spec as a whole. But you may find it easier to be FFB at the start since you don't have to be all over the mana CDs like arcane in the addition to learning new fights.

Needless to say my offspec will be FFB rather than ttw/fire. Maybe ramp it up for the really long mana intensive fights if I have issues with arcane. Especially since I'm going to try to be wearing molten armor with it's new spirit buffage (makes for almost 8% crit glyphed with my current arcane gear).

Motagus
Artifact
Artifact
Xbox GamerTag: GrumpyPerlMonk
Battle Tag: dobbz#1930

Re: 3.1 Specs

Post by Motagus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 pm

I've played them all so wherever you need me, I'll be happy to go. =)
Q: Why is leveling a mage like being Irish?
A: Because it's drink, fight, drink, fight.

Endellion
Common
Common

Post by Endellion » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Luckily with mages being pretty damn well balanced at this point (it's a miracle, I know!) its really up to you. Niv digs fire, so ffb or ttw/fb is his choice. He's as addicted to raiding as I am so I don't see us needing a scorch bitch in place of him often (Especially with warlocks getting the same deal with ISB now). Honestly be whatever you do your best dps as. I do alright with fire but I know Niv dps would blow me out of the water if we were both a fire spec for the night ;) The rotation there just isn't my cup of tea. But, like I said, I may end up having to give it a go depending on how arcane's mana holds up in Ulduar. No more AB spam for me though! ;)

Nivai
Rare
Rare
Guild: Unknown

Post by Nivai » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Yea I love fire and I dont mind the fireball spec since the non-crit numbers stay around 5-6k.. problem with FFB is that those non-crits can dip to 3k sometimes. The mana issue might not be that bad in 25man I havent had a chance to try it in Naxx.. so I'll go with the TTW spec for right now and off-spec FFB. Molten armor is going to eat your mana pool up probably.. but they did ramp up mana regen in combat a good bit so you might have an easier time. I'm guessing we can test it tonight since realms should be coming up shortly.

Endellion
Common
Common

Post by Endellion » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeah, molten armor may very well be something I won't be able to wear as arcane. But, with the talents + mage armor making 100% regen while casting I think I'm okay with swapping armors during a fight. Maybe put on that molten at the end for a nice big burn ;)

There is still quite a lot of discussion about the glyphing situation for both fire and arcane. Fire has the living bomb glyph now which most mages will use to replace scorch...but that just sounds like a pain in the ass to me to have to cast that thing 5 times again. And boy you'd really have to be on the ball to make sure it doesn't drop off so you don't spend your next 5 casts building it back up.

Also, with mage armor being a useless glyph, I have a free glyph spot. I would think molten armor, but then I hear folks talk about the 40% more from mana gems thing which may come in handy later when the t7 has been replaced and I'm not getting it from the gear. Also the arcane barrage 20% mana decrease one sounds nice to me too. At first I thought it seemed more like an arcane pvp glyph, but with the movement involved in Ulduar it may be a nice one to pick up.

Ultimately I think there are going to be many different choices for mages to have. With being able to glyph on the fly it may even boil down to bringing extra glyphs and setting yourself up for certain fights. Tough to tell.

Endellion
Common
Common

Post by Endellion » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:55 pm

FFB+Focus* >= FB/TTW >= Arcane > FFB >> Frost/TTW
FFB/Focus means you use some 11+ Arcane as second spec, cast Focus Magic on a buddy (Frostfire/Fire Mage or Moonkin/Shadow Priest as 2nd choice), and then spec back to FFB (0/53/18 or similar). It's not clear whether that is creative use of game mechanics or too creative
Straight from EJ. How much you want to bet they make it so FM goes away after you're spec'd out of it?

Food for thought.

Nivai
Rare
Rare

Post by Nivai » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm sure that will be fixed pretty quickly.. is a nice find though and would be a pretty large dps increase especially for FFB.

Endellion
Common
Common

Post by Endellion » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:12 am

I meant to try this tonight and totally spaced. Not used to this two spec thing.

I picked up FFB as offspec to try it though. Help me remember tomorrow Niv!

Nivai
Rare
Rare

Post by Nivai » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:09 am

I'll make a mental note.. maybe a real note. I'll have time at work tomorrow to cruise around wowinsider and check out some more strats and the like for mages. I liked my dps as fireball spec, whenever I had time to stop and dps I got up pretty high and the mana is a non-issue thus far. It's hard to tell though because we are moving around alot more than usual.

Motagus
Artifact
Artifact

Post by Motagus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:14 pm

I specced Arcane Primary and Frost Secondary. There may be a fight or two that we can use Imp Bliz on or something. I'll most likely use it most for PvP.

Starting next Tuesday, I plan to be full time again.

Endellion
Common
Common

Post by Endellion » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:42 am

..You spec'd frost PvE?

What fights exactly are you thinking that AoE is going to help the situation? Frost is the lowest dps spec for a mage right now - period. If you're thinking we need it for XTD we don't - killed him tonight without needing it. Nova and a helper is plenty for those adds.

Personally I feel being a pure dps spec that we should be bringing our best dps to the table. No matter which way you cut it frost will not be your best dps. If you want to keep it for a pvp/farming offspec that's fine - just warning you now that I can't think of a fight that I've read in Ulduar that would make me ask you to spec this. For any reason.

Nivai
Rare
Rare

Post by Nivai » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:20 am

So far it seems that Arcane is still doing really well on the charts since mana isn't that big of an issue. I'm also doing pretty well with TTW/fire spec if I don't move around alot. Numbers will go up via fire spec once the fights settle down a little bit, but arcane is a nice choice right now due to the craziness of the 25man raids. AOE with both specs is also not an issue, with gems and evocate it's a cake walk for mana (way better than it was in Naxx). Ice barrier would be nice but right now you are taking so much AOE damage that if you aren't healed you are going to die no matter what and that will cut through the shield pretty quickly. I'd say spec arcane if you know the spec pretty well, it's very bursty and can put up some good numbers even though the fights are long.

Motagus
Artifact
Artifact

Post by Motagus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 am

Endellion wrote:..You spec'd frost PvE?

What fights exactly are you thinking that AoE is going to help the situation? Frost is the lowest dps spec for a mage right now - period. If you're thinking we need it for XTD we don't - killed him tonight without needing it. Nova and a helper is plenty for those adds.

Personally I feel being a pure dps spec that we should be bringing our best dps to the table. No matter which way you cut it frost will not be your best dps. If you want to keep it for a pvp/farming offspec that's fine - just warning you now that I can't think of a fight that I've read in Ulduar that would make me ask you to spec this. For any reason.
Frost for PvP. Arcane for PvE. See Post.