Rare
Rare
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Troll
Class: Shaman

Enhancement Info

Post by Sufferings » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:14 am

So, I got to thinking tonight and realized that even though we don't have 1231098 raiding enhancement shamans, we do have a lot shamans in general. Therefore, many of you might be going enhance for weekends, whether it be for fun, farming or pvp. So, I thought I would throw together some quick and useful info as well as link to some in depth info sources for those of you that might.

Enhancement has changed probably more than any class from BC to WotLK. We went from mostly physical dps-ers focused on pure dps stats to a myriad of melee and spell casting with lots of caps to hit.

So, for an enhancement shaman interested in raiding:

The most important thing is for you to cap your expertise (to avoid a boss dodging). To cap this you need 214 expertise rating, which translates into 26 expertise.

After that, you need to cap your spell hit. Bosses (3 levels above you) have a 17% resist (miss) chance for spells. Boomkin and shadowpriests give 3% spell hit in buffs/debuffs, so you need to pick up 14% which is 367 hit rating.

After that is achieved, the basic stats you need to focus/gem for are crit rating and attack power. I would always gem more for crit until you hit 30-35%, so you have more flurry uptime.

For a wealth of info much more in depth, visit these two sites:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=28143.0
http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t20765-shaman_enhancement/

For an enhancement shaman interested in farming:

If you can cap your expertise, great. Also, instead of worrying about that high spell cap, if you are farming and attacking mobs your level, that cap is now 4%, which is 105 hit. If you gem mostly with the expertise/hit gem, you should reach that easily and also get a decent amount of expertise.

After the spell hit cap, just go for crit rating and attack power.

Weapon imbues:
The days of double windfury are over. After you hit 80 and gain about any respecable amount of gear, flametongue will outweigh windfury in your off hand. So now, the optimal combo is slow mainhand, slow offhand, with windfury mainhand, flametongue offhand. With the amount of spell casting enhancement now does and also the spell damage increase with the flametongue imbue gives, it's just killer.

Glyphs:
The three glyps of choice will be Glyph of Windfury Weapon, Stromstrike and Earthshock. If you can't find Earthshock, Glyph of Flametongue is almost as good.

PvP
Arena as an enhancement shaman is frustrating to say the least. I will always start by saying if you love another spec or class more for PvP, don't try enhance, you will just neat your head into a brick wall.

A couple of tips, if I had to give any:

Always run with a class or classes that can either greatly slow/cripple someone or constantly help you get into melee range of a target.

Always remember your primary duty above all that damage you can dish out is shocking heals/spell casts, purging and using totems defensively. Use a macro so you can focus shock and focus purge when needed.

Lastly, don't let some idiot tell you that you can't do really well in arena if you pick enhance. It's hard, but it's possible. I have gotten over 2k rating in all 3 brackets and competed in the top 10 in 5s and on the most difficult battlegroup, the Bloodlust battlegroup. Find a good team, practice and just be as perfect as possible. One missed shock on a heal is the difference from winning or losing a match.

If you want more info on Enhance and shamans in general in arena, I recommend browsing here: http://www.arenajunkies.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Once S5 gets rolling, you will probably see me on there a bunch :)

Phew, I tried to compress that as much as possible...

If you have any questions at all, please ask, I am a theorycrafting, number crunching nerd to the max, and I love to help people out with specs and gear.
AKA: Sufferings, UD Rogue, now on Blackrock (for the time being)

AtarilynX
Epic
Epic
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: /handinpants
Role: Healer

Re: Enhancement Info

Post by AtarilynX » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 am

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz