Common
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Orc
Class: Death Knight

Critique and help please

Post by Apostasy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... horn&n=Uzo

I have just been basically Armory-ing Madrix and doing what he does. I have never raided as a Shaman other than ZG back in classic.

I don't use any add-ons, nor do I honestly know wtf I'm doing tbh.

All I know is I really like playing this toon and I want to suck less sooner rather than later.

Hook a gimp ass wannabe Shaman up <3

Looking for input on gear upgrades, which I still need lots of, add-ons, and anything else you can think of to help me not suck.

Thanks for your time :)

Sufferings
Rare
Rare
Race: Troll
Class: Shaman

Re: Critique and help please

Post by Sufferings » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 pm

Without jabbering to much about things that I can't write about as clearly as others could/have put it, I will just say a couple things I always think of and point you in the right direction of good information.

-Healbot is an amazing mod for any healing class. Learn it, use it, love it.

-Use a mod that can notify you when your water shield runs out, because between staring at hp bars and making sure you aren't standing in a bad place, it's hard to manage. I use the same thing for lightning shield (which is parrot, a replacement for damage and healing (scrolling combat text)) and I can set up filters that notify you with preset text when a buff fades, is gained or hits a certain amount of stacks.

-macro as much as you can to save time and buttons...macro your trinkets into your heals (healbot can do this) and macro your totems together

-for most fights spam chain heal, but there are a lot of situations now where chain heal is not the most beneficial, because of recent nerfs to the spell...if you are tank healing, you will more than likely find it more beneficial to spam healing wave (only if you have the talent healing way) or lesser healing wave (only if you have the LHW glyph and earthshield on the target)

For info on gems, gear, talents and just basic theorycraft, go to:
http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t20914-sham ... id_Leaders

That's the best info I could provide...I don't know healing on a shaman as well I as used to anymore, and I have not kept up with theorycrafting on really any healers in WotLK. So if you need any help on this, definitely ask our shaman healers, they are rock stars. Hope that helps!
AKA: Sufferings, UD Rogue, now on Blackrock (for the time being)

Abeyancy
Rare
Rare
Race: Blood Elf
Class: Paladin
Role: Healer

Post by Abeyancy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Healbot is for noobs.

daddywarbuck
Common
Common

Post by daddywarbuck » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Your spec you have is pretty standard for resto.
My spec only has a one point difference. I am going to copy and paste different things I have saved from EJ forums that I try to go by, so I'm sorry if its hard to follow. But if you do have any questions, I would be happy to help out.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ddywarbuck

Basically, you need to figure out what type of healing you want to do:
Big crit heals or fast heals...

How important is Crit?
For starters it looks like Resto heal styles boil down to this main point. This doesn't mean crit is trivialized or unnecessary in one style and laser beam focused in another, but rather that crit is valued significantly higher between them. If this is not obvious, allow me to point out the following:

Pro - There is at least one thread based entirely around LHW that extols the virtues of crit.
Pro - There are now 3 different talents in resto that trigger off of a crit heal and 4 talents that improve crit where there was previously 1 and 1 respectively.
Con - Many posts and the TTT still reference Chain heal as the fulcrum of shaman healing, which benefits much less from crit than our other heals.
Con - The HEP thread has crit as the lowest effective healing stat available.

I have tried to stack haste/MP5 and int/mp5 gems. I would say mp5 and int are the 2 most important stats for resto.

Healing Equivalency Points (HEP) assigns weights, or scores, to each stat point- This is how I try to determine what gear i take.

10 - MP5
7 - Intellect
5 - Spellpower
3 - Spell Haste
3 - Spell Crit
1 - Stamina

Spec:
0/13/57+1 - get all the crit talents, and improved your water shields.

Gear stats to watch out for:
Despite the fact that I think crit is good, it is still not as good as mana or spell power. I don't like using exact numbers for HEP because they do vary, and you really have to feel it out to know what you are lacking in. That said, here is the basic premise:

1. SPELL POWER is king. Pound for pound, you get more effectiveness out of SP than any other stat. An 8k LHW doesn't mean squat if you can't cast more than one, however so....

2. INTELLECT is your power stat. You get .6 MP5, .18 SP and .3 CR per int. Good stuff! This is your primary stat for mana issues. It's not BETTER than MP5, but it's usually easier to get. With the exception of low healer Heroic Patchwerk, I have never had mana problems in any fight as long as replenishment is available.

3. CRIT RATING and HASTE RATING are so close that it needs explanation. Get haste until a TW hasted LHW is under 1 sec. Then get crit rating, and lots of it. If you feel good about your crit rating, get haste! If you can get HW under 1 sec with TW, egad!

4. Take MP5 if it just plain destroys Crit rating. As a general rule, if the rating value is about 2 times more than the MP5, than the rating is better. You need to use good judgement here. Do you need 1% more crit if you are at 30% already, or 25 mp5? Odds are the MP5 is better.

Hopefully this can be a good start for you. Once again sorry if it is choppy.

Daddy

Apostasy
Common
Common
Class: Death Knight

Post by Apostasy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Tyvm for your input ya'll <3

I will be backup healing Naxx10 again tonight. I just want to get better every time I heal and every little piece of advice helps!

Madrix
Legendary
Legendary
Race: Tauren

Post by Madrix » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:42 pm

I use 2 addons, Grid and I think it is totemic timers or something (used to be Chaman2, which was so much better). Basicly a healing list addon and a totem addon, makes it easy to switch to which totems you need quickly and without much effort. Also shows charges of ES, weapon buff durations, and your other shields charges / druation left. Grid is great for healing, shows debuffs as well which is helpful.

DWB said pretty much everything i would say. Follow these rules for gemming (assumes replenishment):

For longevity (i.e. you have mana issues).

int > mp5 > SP > haste (MP5 overtakes int if no replenishment)

Yellow: 16 int gem
Red: int / SP
Blue: Int / MP5

For throughput (i.e. you need more healing because mana is not an issue)

Haste > SP > int > mp5

Yellow: Haste
Red: Haste / SP
Blue: probably still int/mp5. Blue gems suck.

Never gem for crit. Gearing for crit (i.e. elemental gear) is fine, but gemming for it is a waste. For 10-mans I would stick to the int as much as you can, haste really only helps chain heal for the most part, as tidal waves and haste from gear give you enough for LHW (your other most used spell).

Glyphs:
Majors: Lesser healing wave
Chain heal
Water shield (or water mastery whichever one it is)

Minor: Water shield (or water mastery i mix up the names).