Starcraft 2: Overview and Discussion

Humor, Deals, Links, and anything Off Topic.
Gendou
Common
Common
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: quiXotic
Race: Undead
Class: Priest

Starcraft 2: Overview and Discussion

Post by Gendou » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:31 am

I admit it, I've always been a bit of a Blizzard fanboy.

Part of what I love about them is that while they've never been revolutionary, they've always been evolutionary - they might not release a game that is innovative and all-new, but what they release is a refinement of what has gone before. They stand on the shoulders of giants, and don't mind acknowledging those who have gone before. That having been said, the quality of their product is so ridiculously high that what comes out under the name of 'Blizzard' is never anything short of amazing.

So when StarCraft 2 went on presale earlier this year, I put in my order for the Collector's Edition. And let me tell you, if you are a StarCraft Fan in particular, a Blizzard Fan in general or just a WoW Player wanting to play StarCraft and you have the extra money, you owe it to yourself to pick up the Collector's Edition.
Ars Technica's Ben Kuchera has outlined the contents of the package far better than I can, but what he doesn't mention specifically are the special, custom portraits (including a Tauren Marine) and special, custom unit decals (including Horde symbols for each of the three races) that are only available with the Collector's Edition.

As for the game itself, I haven't had a chance to delve deeply into the single-player game, but what I have played is highly reminiscent of the original game, only with better controls, graphics and new features such as branching storylines and out-of-combat unit upgrades purchasable with points gathered via extra goals in each mission.

Honestly, this is probably the only game capable of really pulling me away from WoW for an extended period of time, and I'm not a big RTS player.
So if you liked the first game or RTS games in general, definitely pick up the second game if you haven't already.
And if you have the extra cash, consider grabbing the rather awesome Collector's Edition. I think you might regret it if you don't. I know I would have.

Marigus
Epic
Epic
Server: Zangarmarsh
Guild: Wipeaholics
Race: Human
Class: Death Knight
Role: Tank
PSN Name: m4riGus

Re: Starcraft 2: Overview and Discussion

Post by Marigus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am

Got my CE yesterday, unfortunately work intervened and I didn't get to play at all but I did get a bit to look at the behind the scenes DVD. The beta was fun so I have no doubt the complete game is, now I just need someone to make a DoTa map for it.
Missionary (73 Gnome Mage) Zangarmarsh
Hippostyle (84 Human Pally) Zangarmarsh
Marigoose (85 Human DK) Zangarmarsh
Mariguss (85 Worgen Rogue) Zangarmarsh
Chickenstyle (85 Worgen Druid) Zangarmarsh

Jemba
Artifact
Artifact
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Orc
Class: Warlock

Re: Starcraft 2: Overview and Discussion

Post by Jemba » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 pm

I did a bit of the 1 player last night, I dont know if I like that I have to pay for 2 more campaigns, and im not sure if im missing out on missions by choosing one over the other.

Other than that its pretty cool.