Thoughts on the 3 specs, and incoming 3.1 changes.

Death Knight Discussion
Caen
Artifact
Artifact
Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Blood Elf
Class: Death Knight

Thoughts on the 3 specs, and incoming 3.1 changes.

Post by Caen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:19 pm

I really thought they nailed it down with there being no greatest spec, but instead rely on the player for best DPS.

Ive gone through a lot of parsings where DKs can get around 7K on Patch, as 2H Unholy, 32/39, or as Blood. [Well maybe not Blood, you really need best in slot items to get that high.]

Now the interesting part is: which is best for you?

I'd say probably 2H UH. Or if you have the rep, DW 32/39. 2H UH does not need a lot of gear to make it very effective, though its rotations can be a bit rigid at times [Do I refresh diseases or did I get a lucky streak of procs with the SS glyph?]

DW is a bit easier to get into and see progress, you don't need a lot of hit, contrary to belief, and you can utilize UH and Blood presence. [Pending what raid make up you have, BP will do better with an elemental shaman.]

As a general rule for gemming, STR is king, over anything else, which is why I strongly recommend BS/JC for your profession choices. You get 3 prismatic gems which attribute to your meta, thus you dont need to worry about inferior blue/yellow gems.

Ignore stat bonuses, unless they are STR, if you need a blue gem to get that STR bonus, best use a prismatic gem of 27 STR there. That's the key to stacking correctly.

Stack the hell out of STR and nothing else, everything else is just frosting on the cake.

Now this is where Blood comes in, you will get a ludicrous amount of STR with Blood, but also lacking the AOE your accustomed to with UH and Frost build. Blood's advantage lies in stacking STR even further, with best in slot items available.

There's still 3 or 4 slots I can further improve STR, but as Blood now, I can tip very close to 7K AP and over 2500 STR self buffed. Add typical 25man raid buffs and I'm hovering close to 10K.

So obviously toting around that much AP is going to bring the hurt, but Blood is critical with its CDs. DRW and ERW to be specific. You want the most mileage out of both, but if the boss is moving away and you fire DRW your wasting precious time on the boss, gotta be careful that the boss is solidified in place.

DRW has also picked up a couple tricks since last patch, it can DC, IT, Obl, Heart strike and cleave, you will want ERW to follow DRW right after you expend all your runes.

So now, with the 3 specs, follow these rules of thumb:

Stack the shit out of STR.

Practice on the Ebon Hold boss dummy in the middle of the Hold, it is the only boss target dummy in the game that you can AOE without worry of hitting other targets.

Try Unholy and Blood Presence for DW, I found I performed better in UH @ the dummy, and BP in raid. This is due to spell haste from Elemental Shaman and Bloodlust. [IT and DC are spells fyi and their GCD is affected by haste.]

Weapons are easy to come by for DW, You can go fast or slow for MH , OH is better fast [For starters, the Wyrmrest Fang of Truthx2 works wonders.]. It comes down to what your best weapon is. The best DW weapons, sadly, is Last Laughx2.

-

Thoughts on 3.1 changes:

Garg switching with UB is a massive buff to all 3 trees, especially tanks. But this is also a big buff for DPS, DW and Frost specs. This is also pending the "Frost Shuffle" they plan.

I can see some pvp talents being shifted, but also worried HB and HC may change places, and having HB hit even harder, yet not have UB be an option.

Chillblains and endless winter will move up, but my questions are: Where is KM and HB ending up? Right now the 3 trees are pretty close together, as well as DW and 2H, in terms of DPS. I don't think Blizz wants to screw too much with it now.

The sudden doom change is awesome too, helps Blood automatically with its tight rotations.

I hope the pest change loses the rune cost since its not doing damage now.

Also hope they get rid of some of the outdated talents, currently in the game for DKs: Vendetta, Bloodworms, Scent of Blood, and Hungering Cold. They are all horrible, especially HC [Except for Arena.].

Good changes for 3.1 so far.

"War has ended."

kaos
Legendary
Legendary
Guild: Unknown
Class: Rogue

Re: Thoughts on the 3 specs, and incoming 3.1 changes.

Post by kaos » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:36 pm

i think the changes are gay, and rylas is gay too

squishee
Artifact
Artifact
Race: Troll
Class: Hunter

Post by squishee » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 am

kaos wrote:i think the changes are gay, and rylas is gay too

Kinos
Rare
Rare
Race: Tauren
Class: Shaman
Role: Healer

Post by Kinos » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:16 pm

I tried testing 2h unholy and 2h frost today.

2h unholy I went with the standard 17/0/54. Scourge strike hitting quite a bit harder (was hitting over 8k solo at times), Ghoul frenzy seems pretty out of place with it costing an unholy rune and its hard to find the talents to get it so I didn't bother. Outbreak is also a must now with 30% bonus dmg to scourge strike. So to get both morbitity and wandering plague i found myself dropping 1 from NoTD and not getting improved UP. dropping up to 2 points from Bladed armor is also possible. Garg is somewhat better with it using less rune power and it seemed to hit a little harder anyway. 2h unholy was already pretty good and now it's even better, but I would not be surprised if Scourge Strike takes dmg hit from bonuses it gets in talents.

2h frost I went with 20/51/0. Used razor ice for enchant(which now stacks to 10%). I also had no glyphs at all or a sigil that did anything for this, and OB is not generating RP. All said and done I was still able to pull about 2500 dps solo on the boss target dummy (not using raise dead at all). I found HB to be relatively weak, is it supposed to only have 1 rank? Unbreakable Armor is truly amazing when macroed with blood tap (33% uptime of 25% str). Overall this build seemed like it has huge potential when properly glyphed and if OB generates RP. Did not test 2h frost/unholy offset.

zoquete
Artifact
Artifact
Race: Tauren
Class: Druid

Post by zoquete » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:37 pm

Can you link a good blood spec rylas.. just got to 80 so my gear is basically blues
with just 1 epic and bind on account, just looking at one that will take
most benefit from my low gear, till i work on getting something better :)

And what rotation should i use on Blood , im new to that spec since i was
mostly unholy thru all my leveling.. All this for dps spec of course :).

squishee
Artifact
Artifact
Race: Troll
Class: Hunter

Post by squishee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:46 pm

Ok blizz is being a bitch so while im being bored as hell i was gonna ask you guys for opinions on new tanking specs.

Unholy tanking

Frost tanking
although i was debating if i should keep imp icy talons, if so im not really sure what i would pull points out of.

(keep in mind i hardly ever get to do naxx since i am without a raiding guild, so i pretty much live 5 man heroics where there is hardly ever a shammy with windfury down)

also i need a good blood dps spec if anyone could offer one...